Saturday, January 16, 2010

Evernote Challenge~Notes 1 and 2 (Food)

I decided I need to declutter my Evernote account just as much as my house this year...considering that I have almost 800 notes of information in it...and, yes, that is more than I had in it when I did the original post. "Sigh"...   Is there a program for people with an information gathering addiction?


Today I'm trying out 2 food category notes.


Todays dinner is coming from the cdkitchen.  It called What's On Hand Soup.  The recipe is just the way it sounds. I had some leftover chicken, frozen veggies in the freezer that need to be used up for my Pantry Challenge, an excess of stewed tomatoes I've been trying to figure out how to use up, plus the many potatoes also needed to used before they start to sprout.  It's all in the crockpot and making the kitchen smell wonderful.

Note number 2 is a recipe for Masonades.  I found this recipe over at the  Cold Antler Farm blog. I've made these before so I can give then official thumbs up! Nothing like fresh lemonade....

Masonades are soda-can sized servings of hand-squeezed lemonade or iced tea. 

Ingredients


Box of pint mason jars (with lids)
Fresh organic lemons
Water
Ice cubes
Natural sugar
Natural lemon juice
Organic black tea bags
Fresh mint or lemon verbena from the garden


Take your jars and fill them up halfway with cold water. Cut half a lemon and squeeze its juice into the jar, and then plop the whole half into the jar as well, making the water tart and filled with little bits of pulp and flavor. If you really want to kick the tartness up - add some fresh lemon juice (about a teaspoon) to the mix. Then add as much sugar as you feel appropriate (depending on mood and heat it could be as little as a teaspoon or as much as 2 tablespoons) and then top it off with ice till it's nearly overflowing. Seal the lid and shake the hell out of it untill it's one big, frothy, delight. There you have it. Farm fresh, all natural, and ready for travel.
Masonades can also be made into iced tea - which is a healthier alternative. Pour hot water from a kettle into room-temperature jars with an organic black tea-bag and let it cool on the kitchen counter. Then add in a little lemon slice and a pinch of sugar, some ice, and a sprig of lemon verbena or mint and let it sit in the fridge alongside the jars of lemonade. When it's cold enough to condense water off the sides, it's manna from the still. (Taken from the Cold Antler Farm site.)

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from another blog we both read!

    I wanted to say how cool I think it is that you're making a commitment to de-clutter every aspect of your life. I might have to follow some of your advice!!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete